I've gone and bought this crappy CX500, with the intention of making something that looks a bit better! Hopefully the maggot won't turn into a fly!

Not only is this my first attempt at a blog! but it's also my first attempt at creating a"custom" motorcycle!! I don't really know what I'm doing in either case, so we'll see how it goes.

You'll have to look at the photo below to see why I chose the 'maggot'!.........see something good can be found in everything!!

Wrenchmonkees CX

Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Update 2

I wanted to clean up the switch gear as I'm reusing what I've got. Of the two sets I have one has an on/off switch for the lights & one didn't, of course the set I wanted to use (with the on/off switch) was the crappier of the two!! This bike is nothing if not a challenge!!

To remove the anodising which had faded badly I ended up resorting to some oven cleaner:

After about 45mins the anodised finish was all but gone, just needed to be scotchbrighted to get rid of the oxidised finish. Haven't got a photo so will need to get one of the finished item & upload it later!!

Monday, 19 March 2012

Update 1

Been a bit of a lazy git and not updated the blog for a while, but it doesn't mean that I've not been chipping away at things! While theres not heaps & heaps to report I'll break it into a couple of chuncks, for ease.

While I'm waiting for the engine seals I thought I'd press on with the front end. The brake calipers were as you might guess pretty crappy looking:

but a couple of hours with the paint stripper & wire wheel got it looking much better:

Even managed to get the bleed nipples out without snapping them off! Plenty of penetrating oil, gently heated the caliper body, & several sharp taps from Mr Hammer saw them out!

What is it with Japanese spares!!