I've gone and bought this crappy CX500, with the intention of making something that looks a bit better! Hopefully the maggot won't turn into a fly!

Not only is this my first attempt at a blog! but it's also my first attempt at creating a"custom" motorcycle!! I don't really know what I'm doing in either case, so we'll see how it goes.

You'll have to look at the photo below to see why I chose the 'maggot'!.........see something good can be found in everything!!

Wrenchmonkees CX

Sunday, 1 June 2014

It's done!!!

It has been some time since I last posted on here. Time which has been spent finishing the project.

Hope you like it!!.....

Monday, 14 April 2014

Saturday, 29 March 2014

Solder Pot

I needed to shorten the throttle & clutch cables, so I made a solder pot:

Worked out well.

Monday, 17 March 2014


Looks like I've found out what the problem was.
I've replaced the ignition switch for a 'car' type switch that you twist the key right round to start. All the electrics turn on including power to the ignition unit on the first click, however, when you turn the key to start it, it cuts the power to the lights etc to give you max power from the battery, & yes you've guessed it, I took the power for the Ignition off the same feed so cutting the power each time the starter was engaged!! Doh!

Have now remedied the feed & am getting nice blue sparks from the plugs


Sunday, 2 March 2014

It's a Roller!!

I've also connected the battery & the motor spins over & has good oil pressure. 

It's not all good news though as I'm not getting any sparks at the plugs, so there's a bit of a problem to try & track down! 

I suppose 2 out of 3 isn't bad!

Friday, 28 February 2014


......are now fitted:

Should be a roller this weekend, all being well. Burly blokes on standby!

Monday, 17 February 2014

More progress

Have been doing lots of bits & bobs, such as oil blacking the nuts & bolts, this inolves cleaning off all the rust & crud, heating & then dunking in old engine oil. Not sure if if adds much in the way of protection, but I think they look good & it does mean that I can keep the original fittings, which look a lot nicer than a whole load of shiney stainless. Plus they're free!!

The front end, rear swinging arm & wiring are virtually complete:

 I cleaned & painted the bevel box & rear brake plate to match the engine:


after etch primer

after final coat.

New tyres are on order so hopefully will be a roller in a week or so!!

Saturday, 25 January 2014

Small Steps

Finished making the new wiring harness today. I connected up a battery charger to test it & it worked without bursting in flames!! 

The new LED warning lamps light as they should, the brake light works for both front & rear brakes, the lights work & the starter solenoid clicks when the ignition switch is turned! So good progress made.