I've gone and bought this crappy CX500, with the intention of making something that looks a bit better! Hopefully the maggot won't turn into a fly!

Not only is this my first attempt at a blog! but it's also my first attempt at creating a"custom" motorcycle!! I don't really know what I'm doing in either case, so we'll see how it goes.

You'll have to look at the photo below to see why I chose the 'maggot'!.........see something good can be found in everything!!

Wrenchmonkees CX

Sunday, 18 August 2013

Frame more or less sorted!

As I said in the last post, the new frame wasn't quite as it was described in the ebay advert....





 ... this supposedly was just a small hole in the rear footrest hanger, as you can see though, it goes right through into the frame.

I wanted to remove the hangers anyway, but the frame obviously needed repairing, so I cut out the rotted part & formed some backing pieces for added strength & to give some reinforcement to help stop the arc blowing through....
 


I then cut a section of good tube out of one of the old frames I had, & using my trusty arc welder welded it in place....



Quite pleased with that! Fortunately the other side wasn't as bad, just having some surface rust which was treated & smoothed off.

I trimmed other surplus bracketry, cut the top frame & re-styled the ends so they follow the lines of the rear shocks & the seat, hopefully it'll look a bit better that just lopping the ends off. A plate for mounting the electrics under the seat was added plus some other bits & bobs, a quick dust over with red oxide to cover the bare metal & I have to say that I'm chuffed with the result....









Now I'm going to start the dry build & sort out the wiring & mounting the electrical components.

2 comments:

  1. Good man! Looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah cant wait to see a rolling chassis!

    ReplyDelete