I've gone and bought this crappy CX500, with the intention of making something that looks a bit better! Hopefully the maggot won't turn into a fly!

Not only is this my first attempt at a blog! but it's also my first attempt at creating a"custom" motorcycle!! I don't really know what I'm doing in either case, so we'll see how it goes.

You'll have to look at the photo below to see why I chose the 'maggot'!.........see something good can be found in everything!!

Wrenchmonkees CX

Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Progress at last!

At last I've got my arse in gear & done a bit more!!

The engine looks shit with lots of aluminium 'bloom' & the old paint flaking off. So to start the process of re-juvination I took the heads off.
Found snotty gloop in the left hand cylinder water jacket...
Bit of judicious use of various scrapers & compressed air seemed to do the job...
 Spent a couple of hours on the head to go from this...
 ..to this...
the valves require a bit more grinding in before replacing valve stem seals & giving a final scrub, don't think I'll bother with porting, not sure if it'll make much difference.
Need to do the right hand head, then will remove engine from frame to delve a little deeper!


  1. Good man! Winter is setting in, so get cracking!

  2. Yuck! That´s some nasty goo! Hope you can make it run.